How Can Dress Shoes Be Comfortable?
When people mention the dress shoes for men, the first image that comes to mind is sluggish footwear that’s stiff and causes blisters. However, we’ve come a long way from the wood and leather apparatus from centuries ago.
Since most of us still wear harmful footwear, we’re at risk of ailments such as Plantar Fasciitis or overpronation. Yet thanks to the advances in dress shoes, you can now wear formal footwear a particular dress code that’s just as comfortable as slip ons or running shoes!
In this section, we’ll explore the features to look for in the best men’s dress shoes that ensure all-day comfort.
Best Comfortable Dress Shoe Features
Firstly, we can’t stress how important it is to make sure that your dress shoes fit correctly. You can start by adequately learning the size of your feet as most people don’t know their real size.
Read up on how a shoe should fit to see if you run into any problems with your usual footwear.
Similarly, you should become familiar with the shape of your feet. After experimenting, you may notice that not every dress shoe will fit your feet perfectly due to differences in last shapes.
For instance, even common brands like Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy have surprisingly different shapes!
Furthermore, people may have different arch heights in their feet. It’s essential to be aware of you arches as this can drastically affect the comfort of your dress shoe. You can learn more about this with our dedicated arch support guide.
Finally, the features that you should look for in comfortable shoes are the following:
- Breathable Materials: Leather lining and some synthetics let your feet breathe, which reduces perspiration and prevents blistering.
- Arch Support: As mentioned above, you’ll need to have the right arch support to accommodate for yours and ensure all-day comfort. Too much can cause bruising while too little results in overpronation.
- Cushioning: A trait of athletic footwear that’s being seen more and more in dress shoes, cushioning secures the feet and reduces pressure on its contours.
- Stability: Too much cushion can reduce security and affect your gait. Therefore, a careful balance will ensure you walk correctly and avoid any ankle discomfort.
- Ankle Grip: Features such as ankle notches or collars will ensure that the foot sits securely in the shoe. This reduces rubbing and prevents the development of blisters.
Now that you have read about the most comfortable men’s dress shoes, you can read some of our other related guides to dress shoes and other types of shoes: